“A Philosophy of Balance"
Nothing prepares your child for success in elementary school like a strong kindergarten experience where academic and social development go hand-in-hand. A balance of individual attention with a strong emphasis on reading and math skills provides each child with a solid foundation for elementary school success. Expect regular communication about your child’s experiences and progress through parent-teacher conferences, newsletters, and ongoing progress reports.
PWS Private Kindergarten offers your child a comprehensive, literacy-based, teacher-directed curriculum that prepares your child for elementary school.
- Small class size and low student-to- teacher ratio emphasize a solid preparation in the fundamental academic skills of reading, phonics, writing, and mathematics.
- Individualized Learning in reading and mathematics are developed for every child.
- Enrichment activities are integrated into the daily program with child-initiated opportunities for learning and fun.
- Christian Education, character development, interpersonal skills, and life skills are taught with the same passion as academics.
Language and Literacy
The literacy-rich environment at PWS Private Kindergarten begins with phonemic awareness, moving toward conventional reading. With these skills, children have the foundation to begin reading text fluently with comprehension. Key objectives are:
- Reading for pleasure and information
- Writing to communicate messages, thoughts, and ideas
- Listening and following directions
- Speaking confidently and effectively
Mathematical analysis and computation are at the core of the math program. Children use multiple tools and approaches to solve problems in meaningful ways using manipulatives, estimation, pictures, drawings and graphs.
Science and Technology
As children explore the classroom and outdoor environments, they learn about science and technology and the role each plays in our lives. The focus is on development and comprehension through:
- Making observations and predictions
- Exploring the world around us (recycling, conservation, life cycles of plants and animals)
- Integrating technology skills into daily activities to learn basic keyboarding and computer skills to reinforce learning through individualized programs through educational software.
Children develop a basic understanding of themselves and their place within their families, communities, and the world. The program provides lessons in meaningful contexts such as:
- Understanding the calendar (days and dates)
- Understanding that people use different languages to communicate
- Knowledge of the globe, the United States, and the Pledge of Allegiance
Creative Arts & Expression
Children learn the basic principles of art that inspire them to express themselves. They work within a variety of mediums: watercolors, paints, chalk, clay and crayons.
Our Music program is celebrated and integrated into the curriculum at PWS. Children are physically engaged in music, learning creative movement, instrument identification, and song.
Christian Education and Character Development
Children learn Christian values through bible stories, monthly bible verses, and Chapel experiences. PWS teaching staff takes great care to provide a warm and nurturing Christian environment for the children to learn from example and through the Word. Through one on one and classroom discussions, hands-on activities, children strengthen the virtues of honesty, fairness, and respect for others. Children also participate in a mission projects through the year; such as Heifer International, the Sock and Mitten Tree, Cans for CAM, Presbyterian Home for Children and Operation Christmas Child.
Physical Education and Health
PWS Physical Education program provides experiences in games and sports that help to develop eye-hand coordination, body movement, and motor skills—emphasizing teamwork and learning rules. Children learn the basic concepts of safety, nutrition and personal health.